Sunday, August 23, 2009

Being a social roamer

In the last few years I have moved from Slashdot --> Digg/Reddit --> Techmeme --> Twitter/FriendFeed. The transition has been gradual in most cases. Hardly a day went by when I would not visit Slashdot at least 2-3 times a day. Going through the top stories seemed to be so exhilarating. And coming back to today I hardly ever visit Slashdot. I have the RSS feed on my feed readers but its mostly marked as read. I read the FML feed more than the Slashdot feed.

Then around early 2005 I got hooked onto Digg, it lasted till 2007 and then out of the blue I stopped visiting the site. Mostly because the whole content shifted from being Technical to being just another news site. Now I hardly ever visit Digg. Having a Digg RSS feed had never made sense due to the sheer volume of the stories. Now Digg seems to have gone main stream and I've lost all interest in it.

Around the time I got hooked onto Digg I was also looking into Reddit. Initially I did not like Reddit. It seemed too simplistic. And I guess that has worked in its favor. Even though Reddit has also turned into a full news site but its still focused a lot on Technology and that is one reason why every other day I make sure to skim the latest Tech headlines from Reddit.

Techmeme is another site I did not like on the first look. It just seemed too simple. That seems to have worked in its favor. If I ever want to look at the latest Tech news I can have quick glance at Techmeme and I get all the latest info. Though lately it seems like a Techcrunch RSS feed.

Last but not least are twitter and friendfeed. I don't twitter all that much but if I want the breaking news these two sites seem to be the first to get it. Twitter gets the headlines but friendfeed also gets the other details.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Windows based twitter client update

Its been two weeks since I started with it. Have not done any real programming lately just been busy with the UI of the application. Tested out the API's and they seem to work. Most of the ground work has been done. The basic prototyping is done and things seem to work. The best part is that till now the size of the final executable is less than 50 kilobytes.

Also have been looking at ways to make sure that the application auto updates with almost zero effort on the users part. For now I have decided to use the basic authentication instead of using oAuth. With oAuth it will be difficult to log into twitpic and bit.ly. These are two basic services that I want in the pre-alpha release.

The UI has been quite challenging. The main thing is that it should look and feel like a windows application while having all the features of the AIR based Twitter clients. This is important as most of the users are used to these applications.

Still quite a long way to go before I can release anything. Will hopefully put up some screenshots so that I can get some feedback on it before the pre-alpha release.